Iowa City – Riverside Theatre is accepting submissions to the spring solo show ROAR! – A Weird, Wild and Wonderful Night of Original Solo Work.
ROAR is a re-imagined version of Riverside’s long-standing monologue festival Walking the Wire.
Ten to twelve pieces will be selected to be performed at Riverside Theatre, March 4-13, 2016. Selected playwrights will have their piece produced by Riverside Theatre (no royalties paid), and will receive credit in Riverside promotional materials and two tickets to a performance.
- Riverside is seeking work that is compellingly theatrical. It will be performed so it should have physical, visual and aural elements.
- We won’t rule out excerpts from longer pieces, but we want you to know—they can be harder to appreciate. Funny pieces, on the other hand, always get our attention.
- Memoir is a fine starting point, but be encouraged to take it to a fictionalized place. Again, it needs to be theatrical.
- Our best advice: Work from your heart. Be honest and truthful. Daring, not earth-bound. Follow your instincts rather than logic to arrive at a piece you’d be excited to experience.
- Must be original, unpublished and unproduced work
- Less than 10 minutes in length
- Submit up to 3 pieces as a Word document or PDF by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be sure to include your name, city/state, email and phone
- Submission deadline is September 28, 2015.
Final selections will be announced on riversidetheatre.org by mid-November 2015.